Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Asparagus "Salsa"

As someone who works in the service industry with food every day and whose place of employment is an actual urban farm as well, I always am craving really fresh-tasting food once I am done with my work day. I always keep a variety of vegetables in our apartment (from farmers markets and such), many of which are seasonal, for this exact reason. Last week I bought an amazing bundle of asparagus from the weekly farmer's market at my job from Jenny at Harvest Moon Organic Farms. I'm pretty sure that the deliciousness of their asparagus is to blame for the current kick I am on. Right now the amount of asparagus I am eating is bordering on ridiculous. I am using it in everything!

Here is a great example of something cooked yet "fresh" that beautifully utilizes such a lovely (and seasonal!) farm vegetable.


"Salsa" with potatoes, spinach, and tortillas!

Color is key for me. Color in your life and surroundings keeps you healthy and happy as a person, the same way that keeping color in your diet keeps your body healthy as well.

In an effort to clear my fridge of some vegetables that were nearing their end, I thought of this lovely summer combo and then thoroughly enjoyed it on my back porch.






Basically all you need is...
  • 1 potato (your favorite kind; I love red russet when I don't have crazy potato varieties to choose from)
  • 1/4 can of black beans (or fresh if you are ambitious)
  • 1/4 cup corn (frozen for right now, since corn isn't in season yet)
  • 1/2 a tomato, gutted and chopped
  • 5 stalks of asparagus
  • sea salt or kosher salt
  • chili powder
  • cumin
  • rosemary
  • a handfull of spinach
  • flour tortillas (this would be about 5x tastier with a whole wheat tortilla but I didn't have any)
  • ...and I didn't have them, but lime, avocado, and cilantro would be perfect!

-Start the potatoes first, because they take the longest to cook. Cook them however you like to cook your potatoes; fried, steamed, baked, etc. I sauteed mine and then flash-steamed them at the end...but if you have the time, slow-cooking is always better.

-While those are cookin' away, chop the stalky ends off of the asparagus (save them for your compost pile though, or make vegetable stock out of your unused vegetable "butts"!) and then chop the stalks in to diagonal "spears". Using a little olive oil, sautee the spears until they look a little greener.

-Add the corn next if it's frozen, otherwise wait a little longer and add the corn and black beans at the same time. Stir those together until they are just about done, and add the tomato at the end with chili powder, cumin, and a tiny bit of salt to taste. You don't want to over cook the tomato because then it will be mushy and missing the "crunch" that fresh tomatoes offer but is often over looked!

-The potatoes should be done shortly after your salsa is, so throw in your rosemary with your potatoes and then cut up some tortilla and plate it. Put the spinach next to it, and then plate your. Garnish the salsa with the lime, cilantro, and avocado if you chose to use those ingredients! Then plate the potatoes...and voĆ­la, you're done! (This plate was big enough for two, so I still have half of it sitting in my fridge.)

Enjoy outdoors, I promise it's better that way.

1 comment:

  1. this is so pretty, you're spot on about the colors.

    ReplyDelete