Monday, June 22, 2009

Lemon Quinoa with White Beans and Kale

I'm here working in Columbia, Missouri for the summer. Not only am I a vegan, but I'm also a student, which means I'm on a budget. Buying in bulk + Farmer's market = survival. Today I threw together a simple mix of items for a quick dinner, and oh man, it was so much tastier than I expected! Great for a hot summer day.

Lemon Quinoa with White Beans and Kale


Serves 1:

1/4 cup dry quinoa (incan red if you have it)
1/2 cup white beans, cooked
1 leaf of kale, chopped (or torn up, lazy-style)
1/2 small to medium tomato, chopped
1/3 of a lemon, juice of
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp chopped garlic (admittedly this is excessive, I love the fuck out of garlic)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt

Ok, yeah, I bought the beans dry and had cooked a ton of them earlier in the week, just waiting to be used. But you can also use canned if the time commitment is really just too much for you to handle.

You can cook it all in one pot. Mix the quinoa with 1 cup water, bring to a boil and then back down to a simmer and let cook with the lid on for 10-15 minutes or so. Then add your chopped up kale, put the lid back on and simmer for another 5 minutes. Take the lid off, stir in the beans and the remainder of the ingredients and cook on medium heat until as liquidy or dry as you desire.

-Laura

1 comment:

  1. oh my god this sounds amazing. i am so going to eat this after Bikram on wednesday!

    ReplyDelete