Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Sweet Summer Basil

Meet Ferdinand, my new basil baby:



I got it at the Columbia Farmer's Market last saturday, since I was feeling a little garden-sickness away from Farm House. Now, truth be told, I don't know that much about basil, so I did some research. The interwebs told me some interesting things:

Basil likes lots of sunlight, warm conditions, and well-drained soil. It can tolerate a variety of conditions, especially pH, which makes it a popular addition to many gardens.

Apparently the yellowish leaves near the bottom of Ferdinand means that it needs more sunlight. Well, jesus. I keep it on the front steps, which are pretty much venus when it comes to sun, so I'm going to have to figure out what's up with that. Maybe I just need to get an oregano plant this week to keep him company?

Seriously though, it's doing pretty well, and with a little pruning should be in good shape in no time at all. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to work on a small garden plot I have in the back yard and plant this sucker.

No comments:

Post a Comment