Monday, June 29, 2009

Vegan Raspberry Brownies

A few weeks ago, one of my co-workers and good friends was having his birthday party as a barbecue. Since a lot of our friends are vegetarian and vegan, but some also eat meat, there was a wide variety of eats at this get-together. As usual when asked to bring something for a pot-luck, I arrived to the grill-out with desserts that everyone could eat, but did not compromise flavor one bit.

I got this recipe from a great vegan cook book, The Veganomicon. The recipe is originally for blueberry brownies...however, even though the blueberry brownies are totally out-of-this-world-delicious, I decided to use raspberry/blackberry flavors instead!


Raspberry Fudgy-Wudgy Brownies (spin on recipe from the Veganomicon)
I used Ghiradelli semi sweet chocolate chips that were high cocoa content, and vegan. Make sure you use Turbinado sugar (or raw cane sugar) in these brownies too, to make them completely vegan - often times, refined sugar is processed through/with animal bones to make it 'refined'. Gross, I know. I also used Polaner blackberry preserves (for the spreadable fruit ingredient) and fresh raspberries instead of blueberries. =

Also, from my picture you can tell that I made the top of my brownies pretty...I did this by double-boiler melting a few more chocolate chips, and pouring them on top of the batter once in the pan (before baking). Pour in straight lines, and then drag a skewer or fork through the chocolate/wet batter "against the grain" of the line, and you'll get a really pretty swirly design. (I knew my latte-art skills would come in handy one day or another!) You could also whip up some kind of vegan frosting too, and I'm sure it would be totally out of control. In a good way.

Since I took the recipe straight out of the book, it's fair that I just put up pictures of some scanned pages, too. Here's the recipe (click to view larger if you can't read it!)







...Obviously, these babies were gone within minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I'm having a heart attack just looking at that. In an awesome way.

    ReplyDelete