Saturday, July 18, 2009

California Beet Salad

I love me a fresh salad for lunch, and this past week my culinary creations have mostly centered around beets. I'm a woman obsessed. Especially just sliced up raw, I swear to god I will eat beets with anything, anytime, anywhere. As the last of my beet supply came to an end this afternoon, I decided to bid it farewell with this salad, which is full of light, flavorful veggies that make it tasty without being overwhelming.

California Beet Salad
DSCF0013

Beet greens, 3 large leaves
Fennel, 1 stalk (not head)
Tofu, 1/3 cup (or tempeh, even tastier)
Avocado, 1/2 fruit
Beet root, 1/2 small or 1/4 large
Tomato, 1/2 fruit
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Basil to taste
Oregano to taste
Vinegar to taste

Tear or chop the beet greens into large pieces, and then steam until slightly wilted (~5min). Lay on a serving plate. Cube tofu, add to plate. Cube (or slice) avocado and add to plate. Thinly slice beet root, fennel, and tomato, and layer accordingly. Take the fennel greens from the top of the stalk and put then in the center or sprinkle on top for added flavor/prettiness. Finally, drizzle vinegar (I used rice, but balsamic or apple cider would be tasty too) over the salad and sprinkle your preference of spices and salt on top.

Viola, a beautiful and delicious layer salad. Makes a perfect lunch with a slice of home-made bread.

2 comments:

  1. daaaaang, i hate beets but THIS looks awesome! maybe I'll try it....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa you hate beets? Unacceptable. We can't be sisters.

    Seriously though, I could see that if you didn't like pickles. But fresh beets are a whole other ball game, crunchy and sweet. You should try it!

    ReplyDelete