Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Rant: This is why you're fat dot com

There aren't a whole lot of things that really get under my skin enough to straight-up crazy-style rant about, but this blog that I recently stumbled across is one of them.

http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/

It isn't just because it focuses almost exclusively on animal products, or an additional emphasis on corn-based ingredients, or the weird flavor mixures that amount to what could be considered culinary sacrelige, or even the downright gross pictures; most of all, it's the idea that this is centered entirely around the idea of pure consumption, eating as much as possible for no reason other than we "can" (which is totally debatable) and viewing food as cheap entertainment without acknlowedging its costs.

I'll be the first to admit that I enjoy a piece of chocolate. And I know that there are various environmental and social consequences even for this seemingly small action (though I try to stick to locally processed and fair trade items). I love a dessert that has had a lot of love, time, care, and quality ingredients put into it. Half of the enjoyment is knowing that it's a treat, something that you can't just pull out of the cabinet and microwave for 30 seconds every day.

This is why you're fat doesn't apologize for itself in any way. The entries don't have any regard to the quality or flavor of the items involved, the care put into them, or even the real enjoyment that you get out of any given bite of the food presented. The enjoyment is derived entirely from the immense quantity or absurdity of the caloric density of these foods at any cost; which is usually not a lot financially, as they're mostly based on items heavily subsidized by the government specifically in order to make these feats of food-like-substance not only possible for the average american, but cheaper than their real conterparts.

I know there's a whole camp of people just itching to tell me, "if you don't like it, don't look". Believe me, I wish I could. I'm not protesting this blog's right to existence -- if someone has something to say, they have a right to say it (or photograph it, etc.). It just frustrates me that this type of food culture, so detrimental to what I want to support and be informed about, is pervasive enough that this kind of publication has a substantial following and therefore reason for being.

Food, Inc. is coming out here next week, and there's a special showing at the Ragtag in downtown Columbia followed by a sustainable food discussion panel which I'm planning to attend, so I'll probably write more on this subject then (hopefully with a more level head).

P.S. I could write a whole book about the fucked up social implications of the title of the blog too, but I might spontaneously combust. Want to take that one, Leanne?

1 comment:

  1. Ooh - fuel for the feminist blog!!! I'm going to respond to this on LesFeministes.com instead of here :-)

    ReplyDelete