Monday, August 3, 2009

Chickpea Amaranth Hot Salad and Cinnamon Dusted Peach

It occured to me recently that cooking amaranth grain and greens together would be a fun way to combine two very nutritionally different parts of the same plant. Unfortunately Chert Hollow has finished their last week of the greens, so I had to substitute, but I like to think it's the thought that counts?

I enjoyed this meal with local fresh ingredients for dinner a few nights ago (forgive the muddy photo).

Chickpea Amaranth Hot Salad and Cinnamon Dusted Peach
DSCF0030

2/3 cup Chickpeas
1/8 cup Amaranth Grain (feel free to use more, this was all I had left)
1 cup Amaranth Greens (I used a mustard greens mix since I didn't have any)
4 Cherry Tomatoes
1 tbsp. Grapeseed Oil
5 leaves Basil
1/2 tbsp. Sage
1/2 clove Garlic
1 tsp Balsamic Vinegar (don't use a lot or the flavor can overwhelm the sage)
Salt to taste
Black Pepper to taste

For dry beans, soak overnight and simmer in water for approximately 1 hr or until tender; canned beans need only be rinsed. Amaranth should be simmered in two times its volume of water for ~15 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed and the grains are tender (texture similar to quinoa). Be careful not to overcook amaranth, as the tiny grains can get mushy and really just become a dinner party-pooper. Sautee the greens, cooked chickpeas, oil, balsamic, garlic, and sage together for ~5 minutes or until wilted. Pile cooked amaranth on top. Add sliced tomatoes and chopped basil at the end, and sprinkle salt and pepper over the stacked salad, and enjoy!

A vendor at the Columbia Farmer's Market has started selling "chemical-free" peaches, and man are they delicious. The dessert is pretty straightforward. Slice one ripe, juicy peach and sprinkle cinnamon over it. Yum.

3 comments:

  1. just LOVE this blog. What do you guys think of the study in Britain that stated in it's finding that organic food was no more healthy than non-organic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're enjoying our blog! This is a great question -- I started typing a response and realized it was long enough to be it's own blog post, so keep a look out for my answer in a day or two :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I just found this. We found amaranth greens for the first time at our local farmer's market 2 years ago. I can't wait for them this summer. I will be putting this recipe aside til I get some greens!

    ReplyDelete