Monday, January 10, 2011

I know I made promises...

... about an upcoming post, and I will keep them, I swear! It's a long one about me and the who/what/when/where/why/how of my eating vegan, so I will have a handy place to direct people when they ask me the dreadful question. It's nearly done!

In the mean time, I have some exciting news to share. After the end of my WWOOFing endeavors in late october and my failure to find a job on Portland, I decided to stop beating around the bush and apply for 2011 full-season apprenticeships on organic vegetable farms, and lo and behold, I got the one I most coveted! Starting in March I will be working for Blue Fox Farm in Applegate, OR.

I am excited to do this; while I have a lot of experience gardening, I've never been involved in an operation of this scale before, and I am specifically interested in getting to know farm systems and management. I'll also get to sell at Market, which is another big plus. I will be participating in Rogue Farm Corps, which adds another educational component to the experience. The Rogue and Applegate Valleys are littered with small organic farms and a great bunch of people participating in that lifestyle, so I'm very much looking forward to living in a place with active and engaging agro-community members. Nearby Ashland and Grants Pass are also neat places to go when in need of some civilization.

I'll be spending less time at the beach than I did when I was in Coquille, but I will also be a lot busier, learning a lot more about business, and getting a lot more paid (as in, at all) as well. I'm looking forward to meeting my fellow interns and having more things to post here about my life in farming than I have in this off-season.

Oh winter, I'm so close to being done with you.

2 comments:

  1. Nice Blog ! Enjoyed surfing it. Thank you for your very nice articles. I look forward to visiting your site in the future! I like this very much.
    Methods of Modern Farming

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Laura and Leanne! My name is Alex and I work for a specialty produce company that sells exotic fruits and vegetables to grocery stores all over the country. I am not sure if you are near any Metro Markets, Rainbow Foods, Pick 'n Save or Copps stores but I wanted to let you guys know about a Produce 101 event they are all hosting on Saturday 5/19. They will be sampling Persimmons, Lychees and Papaya. I'd love to send you samples and talk about working together leading up to this event. Please email me if you're interested! alex.jackson@friedas.com

    ReplyDelete